The Grammy Awards and RIAA Recognize the Impact of Digital Music Releases
Digital music is rapidly taking the place of hard-copy records/CDs and creating a totally revamped music industry. Music downloads have become increasingly important not only to artists, but major labels and monitoring agencies, as well.
Grammy Award winner Taylor Swift sets digital sales record
According to an August 22, 2012 report by Grammy.com, Taylor Swift recently set the record for the biggest digital sales week for a song by a female artist. Swift’s single “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” debuted atop Billboard’s Digital Songs chart, with more than 600,000 units sold online. In sharp contrast via the same report, Grammy.com detailed Hastings Entertainment‘s 11.6 percent decrease in retail music sales for the second quarter of 2012.
A music legend speaks
During a conversation with Chuck D of Public Enemy, he spoke to me about the creation of PE’s 2012 two-album set, indicating that, “These albums were spawned from the virtual studios of 14 production lab experts in sync from 8 different states in the USA.”
According to Chuck D, both “Most Of My Heroes STILL Don’t Appear on No Stamp ” and its companion album, titled “The Evil Empire Of Everything” will be digitally distributed to serve as the launch point for his digital record label SPITdigital, a joint venture with partner Gary G-Wiz. He and his partner hope to inspire other independent artist to form and become their own record labels, distributing their music online through SPITdigital channels.
Retail sales reports, Soundscan numbers and BDS reports are no longer the benchmark elements declaring success, in my experience. Digital activity is now heavily factored as part of the overall analysis. Often, digital sales are the main concentration of independent artists/labels.
Read my full article on Yahoo! Voices Music
- Taylor Swift (tubeclip.wordpress.com)
- Music Artists Online Earnings: How Much Do Musicians Earn In Digital Sales? (huffingtonpost.com)
- The lost decade of digital music sales (technollama.co.uk)
- Grammys go country (canada.com)
- The Music Industry Versus the Internet. (gearslutz.com)
- Whitney Houston and the 2012 Grammy Awards Mega-Ritual – PART 3 (vaticproject.blogspot.com)
- Study Finds Downloads And Streaming Fees To Become The Music Industry’s Largest Revenue Source This Year (allaccess.com)
- The RIAA appears to be dying, tax records show (digitaltrends.com)